Re: Question about generated dependencies

On Fri, Feb 12, 2021 at 12:24:02AM +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2021 at 10:50:35PM +0200, Boian Bonev wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > While playing with glibc 2.33 (I made a couple of changes on the 2.31-9
> > and built it locally), I stumbled upon the following generated
> > dependency in libnih1:
> >
> > $ apt info libnih1
> > Package: libnih1
> > Version: 1.0.3-11
> >
> > Looking into libnih source package didn't make it obvious for me what
> > part of libnih requires this dependency. Can someone aware with that
> > package shed some light?
>
> So... I just learned something new today, thanks! :)
>
> My first thought was "dpkg-shlibdeps and symbols files". So in short:
>
> - once upon a time, the library -dev packages came with a .shlibs file
>   that said "if you use this package to compile against the library,
>   you need to add these dependencies to your binary package"
>
> - this was... less than optimal in many cases, e.g. it was lacking
>   granularity, so sometimes it would introduce dependencies on
>   needlessly high versions when a much lower version of the same library
>   would suffice
>
> - the library symbols file mechanism was introduced; start at
>   https://wiki.debian.org/UsingSymbolsFiles
>   https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-sharedlibs.html#the-symbols-system
>
>   ...and hit me up (or, of course, feel free to ask on the list) if you
>   have any more questions about the symbols files and their use...
>   there was a time when I misled some people into thinking that I would
>   actually help with updating the library packaging guide (yeah, sorry
>   about that, everyone)

(and for the record, for others reading this: yes, of course I'm aware
 that the symbols file mechanism is not a panacea, that there are
 several major and a couple more minor cases when it breaks down or
 produces kind of less than optimal output itself; I did not mean to
 represent it as The Final Solution(tm))

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev  roam@ringlet.net roam@debian.org pp@storpool.com
Key fingerprint 2EE7 A7A5 17FC 124C F115  C354 651E EFB0 2527 DF13