Re: Proposal: plocate as standard for bookworm

On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 12:02:33PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Feb 08, 2021 at 11:13:10PM +0100, Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> >> users on
> >> shared systems can expect it to be available without asking an administrator
> >> first. To me, locate has always been a standard tool on a UNIX system, so it
> >> makes sense to install it by default.
>
> > "Shared systems" have become pretty rare.
>
> They've become *rarer*, but they're still very common in the academic and
> scientific research world.

Let's not nitpick over words, I assume we can both agree that they still
exist but are a much smaller share of Unix-like systems than 30 years ago.

When I think of hardware running Debian in 2021,
I am thinking of a Raspberry Pi running on an SD card.

cu
Adrian