Re: Proposal: plocate as standard for bookworm

* Steinar H. Gunderson <sesse@debian.org> [210209 14:27]:
> On Tue, Feb 09, 2021 at 08:53:10PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > And there are now also many non-technical Linux users who have never
> > used a shell.
>
> Well, why do we include netcat, telnet or hdparm? lsof? pciutils?
> traceroute? host? All of these are irrelevant for a non-technical
> non-shell user, yet a fairly common part of a Linux installation.

These have come to be expected to be on a typical Linux system by almost
every technically-knowledgeable Linux user.  Locate does not satisfy
that criterion, and I think the dissension in this thread is evidence of
that.  Most of the ones you mention above might be necessary when trying
to fix a broken system.  Locate might save a little time, but find,
which is standard, will suffice for that purpose.

I just tried plocate, and it certainly looks faster to update than
mlocate.  Thanks for packaging this!  I've just removed mlocate.

However, I agree with others here that anyone who wants a locate
implementation will know how to find all the packages with "locate" in
their names and plocate looks to me, from the descriptions, to be the
best choice.  I don't think it deserves "Priority: standard".

...Marvin