Re: autopkgtest dependency irritiation

Hi Ole,

On 06-02-2021 11:14, Ole Streicher wrote:
> which I do not understand. Why does the resolver remove the helper
> package instead of giving up?

What you can see is that autopkgtest decides to test version 3.3-1 (from
testing)
autopkgtest [15:23:52]: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ apt-source starjava-ttools
Get:1 http://deb.debian.org/debian testing/main starjava-ttools 3.3-1
(dsc) [2,992 B]

but that version is broken by your new package, so autopkgtest goes into
a fallback:
autopkgtest: WARNING: package starlink-ttools-java is not installed
though it should be
autopkgtest: WARNING: Test dependencies are unsatisfiable with using apt
pinning. Retrying with using all packages from unstable

And then apt-get finds a solution with the version in unstable:
Get:112 http://deb.debian.org/debian unstable/main armhf
starlink-ttools-java all 3.4-1 [4,511 kB]

But it seems the tests from 3.3-1 are not suitable anymore, hence the
test fails.

> How can I avoud this, and (since this is
> listed as a cause preventing migration) and let my package migrate?

Wait, see below.

> And why does this happen only on armhf?

Because the other architectures were (already) tested with the package
from unstable [1], because the migration code by this time figured out
that also the test had to be forced from unstable. armhf is heavily
loaded [2] at the moment, so it's lagging the other architectures. My
expectation is that it will be fine. The retest is already scheduled [3].

Paul

[1] https://release.debian.org/britney/excuses.yaml.gz
[2]
https://ci.debian.net/munin/debian.net/ci-master.debian.net/debci_queue_size.html