Re: Manual-page legends

"Thaddeus H. Black" <thb@debian.org> writes:

> Have the header and footer legends of Debian Project manual pages been
> discussed on this list?  Is there convention or guidance?  If so, then
> the search engine and I are unaware of it.

I don't recall a previous discussion of this.  It's an interesting
question!

I have generally set the centered title to match the package name (the
human version, not the Debian package name, in cases where this matters,
so for instance "News::Article" and not libnews-article-perl), but I agree
that in the case of a package foo installing an executable foo, it's
redundant and doesn't add much information.  On the other hand, using
Debian as the centered title may not be appropriate when submitting the
man page upstream (although of course that isn't always relevant).

>     1: It's probably irrelevant but, for information, my drafts were
>        not autogenerated by a tool like, for example, pod2man(1).
>        Rather, they were marked up by hand according to groff_man(7).

FYI, the --center flag to pod2man controls this header, and its default is
not that appropriate for anything other than Perl scripts (and not great
even then).