Re: Possible DEP proposal - contribution preferences

On 2/2/21 4:48 PM, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> A debhelper compat bump is a breaking change that must not be done
> without the maintainer verifying that it didn't introduce any
> regression.
>
> This is the whole point of compat levels.
>
> Unfortunately there is a lack of recognition how many bugs are
> introduced by blindly updating debhelper compat levels - staying
> at a deprecated compat level is better than a not properly tested
> compat bump.

I'm less concerned about compat levels, usually these things produce
failing builds or the package is just not comparable to the one you had
before.

But I think(!) what people bump easily is the Standards Version without
checking anything. Lintian is happy if you change the number...