Re: Which package is responsible for setting rlimits?

Simon Richter writes:
> On Mon, Feb 01, 2021 at 12:30:30PM -0500, Sam Hartman wrote:
>
>> It sounded like you were proposing that pam detect if systemd was pid1
>> and if so, then do what it does today otherwise inherit limits by
>> default.
>
> PAM itself doesn't need to detect anything, the individual modules are
> responsible for checking whether their requirements are met, and do
> something safe if not.
>
> The way I see it, we want a pam_systemd module that is responsible for
> applying *all* settings configured in systemd units, and that is kept in
> sync with the unit file parser, and the pam_limits module to handle the
> non-systemd setups.

Systemd doesn't manage much of the "process forked from ssh that is the
user's process", so there is no place to configure such limit.

Also:

+---
| To raise the user's limits further, the available configuration
| mechanisms differ between operating systems, but typically require
| privileges. In most cases it is possible to configure higher per-user
| resource limits via PAM or by setting limits on the system service
| encapsulating the user's service manager, i.e. the user's instance of
| user@.service.
+---[ man:systemd.exec(5) ]

So changing this limit for user sessions is currently out-of-scope for
systemd and handled by pam_limits on Debian (or whatever else).

Ansgar