Re: Updating dpkg-buildflags to enable reproducible=+fixfilepath by default

On 2021-01-08, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Nov 2020 at 17:40, Vagrant Cascadian
> <vagrant@reproducible-builds.org> wrote:

>> > has QFIND_TESTDATA been adapted to work with this, or are we just
>> > "lucky" that most packages don't actually build and run test suites?
>>
>> Yes, QFINDTESTDATA is one of the primary (only?) issues with test suites
>> found in about 20-30 packages in the archive, according to the
>> archive-wide rebuild that was performed. For most of those packages
>> patches have been submitted, and some are already either fixed or marked
>> as pending.
>
> But QFINDTESTDATA is using __FILE__ in a valid way. It might not be
> what you are expecting, but still a valid usage.
>
> See https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=876901 We have
> discussed this before.
>

>> If it could be fixed at the core for QFINDTESTDATA, that would be nicer
>> than fixing 20-30 packages individually, though we're not there right
>> now.
>
> In that case I would expect a valid patch from the people interested
> in enabling this. In the meantime the dpkg change broke a very valid
> usage. Inconvenient for reproducibility? yes, probably, but still very
> valid.

We did a full archive rebuild testing this change, and I provided
patches to all known affected packages several months ago. It is a
one-line change in debian/rules in most cases:

  https://udd.debian.org/cgi-bin/bts-usertags.cgi?user=reproducible-builds%40lists.alioth.debian.org&tag=fixfilepath

It seems there are less than 10 packages left that have not applied the
patch.

Longer-term, it would be nice to be able to fix QFINDTESTDATA to be
compatible, sure.

live well,
  vagrant