Re: On doing 3000 no-source-change source-only uploads in January 2021

On 2021-01-04 at 04:27, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 02:16:23PM +0100, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
>
>> Although the high number of packages makes me wonder, if at least a
>> quick MIA check of the maintainers is warranted, or - if those packages
>> are needed in bullseye at all.
>
> Maintainership status is a very poor indicator whether users might need
> a package.
>
> Some obscure stuff is well maintained, like m68k and Hurd being among
> our architectures with the most active maintainers.
>
> It is very hard and high effort for people who are not already active in
> Debian development to get a change into Debian or take responsibility
> for a package. Debian is not a welcoming place for new contributors.
>
> A normal user won't even notice that an important package is missing
> before bullseye is stable.

As a demonstrating example of this last point:

I track testing, rather than stable, and subscribe to debian-devel, and
therefore am not even a "normal" user in this sense.

A package I use regularly (moosic) was removed from testing back in
November of 2019, and from unstable back in April of 2020.

I didn't notice anything until October or November of 2020 (when the
Python 3 transition tried to remove the package from my computer), and
didn't realize that what I had noticed meant the package had been
removed from the archive - even testing, much less unstable - until
December of 2020.

I've adopted it upstream (it had been abandoned by its original author
back in 2011) and fixed the issues which had led to its removal, and its
Debian maintainer - who hadn't noticed the removal from unstable either,
until looking at it again after I provided a new upstream version - has
agreed to handle the packaging again, but it's not at all clear whether
it'll be ready and make it through NEW again ahead of the release
freeze.

--
   The Wanderer