Re: Allowed to build-depend a pkg in main on a pkg in non-free?

Quoting Roland Fehrenbacher (2020-09-30 20:47:58)

> Hi Sven and Adam,
>
> many thanks for your quick answers.
>
>     S> On 2020-09-30 19:31 +0200, Roland Fehrenbacher wrote:
>     >> Hi,
>     >>
>     >> a quick question to the list, since I didn't find an answer after
>     >> a significant time of searching:
>     >>
>     >> Is it allowed to have a source package with a build dependency on
>     >> a pkg in non-free (in this particular case nvidia-cuda-toolkit)
>     >> and resulting binary packages to go partly to main and others to
>     >> contrib?
>
>     S> No, see Policy §2.2.1:
>
>     S> In addition, the packages in *main*
>     S>
>     S> * must not require or recommend a package outside of *main* for
>     S>   compilation or execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Pre-
>     S>   Depends", "Depends", "Recommends", "Build-Depends", "Build-Depends-
>     S>   Indep", or "Build-Depends-Arch" relationship on a non-*main* package
>     S>   unless that package is only listed as a non-default alternative for
>     S>   a package in *main*),
>
> Hmm, what I intend to do conforms to the first sentence of the
> paragraph (the packages to go into main do not require or recommend a
> package outside of *main* for compilation or execution), but not the
> add-on in brackets.

How does first sentence conform to what you want to do?

Beware that a non-free source package is "outside of main".

> Is the only solution here then really to have two source packages with
> exactly the same upstream source and only a difference in the way the
> binaries are built and what they depend upon? In the end it would be a
> rather large duplication of work, hence a rather big nuisance and
> time-killer.

Depending on source structure, an alternative approach might be to build
a binary -source package containing only the parts needed for linking
with non-free code.

 - Jonas