Re: RFC: Final update of DEP-14 on naming of git packaging branches

On 2020-08-29 Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
> +    URL: https://dep-team.pages.debian.net/deps/dep14/
[...]

| When a package targets any release that is not one of the usual
| development releases (i.e. stable releases or a frozen development
| release), it should be prepared in a branch named with the codename of
| the target distribution. In the case of Debian, that means for example
| debian/jessie, debian/wheezy, debian/wheezy-backports, etc. We
| specifically avoid "suite" names because those tend to evolve over
| time ("stable" becomes "oldstable" and so on).

Hello

I had been doing this (well, without the debian/ prefix).  Naturally I
rarely touched theses stable or oldstable branches and whenever I did
I ended up googling the release number [1] for the release name since I
needed it for the Debian version number of the upload.  This was not a
welcome distraction when handling security issues. I have now switched
to using 09_stretch, 10_buster, etc. which was a huge improvement.

cu Andreas

[1] I know that the info is available in file /some/where/release in a
package called something lsb-release-info, but resolving this link
takes even longer than google/wikipedia.
so grateful to you.'