Re: Lenovo and forced labor [was: Re: Lenovo discount portal update (and a few other things)]

On 03/09/2020 03:47, Tomas Pospisek wrote:
> On 02.09.20 15:08, Mark Pearson wrote:
>> Hi Debian developers,
>>
>> Following on from DebConf 2020 (which I thoroughly enjoyed - thank you!)
>> the Lenovo portal that was announced is now available:
>>
>> US: http://www.lenovo.com/us/en/Linux
>> Canada: http://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/linuxca
>
> I think before jumping on this offer, one should consider this:
> https://www.aspi.org.au/report/uyghurs-sale
>
> Lenovo is by far not the only company producing laptops with forced
> labor involved, however they have not - as of today - as far as I can
> see - cared to comment on those report at all:
>
> * they have neither denied nor ack'ed it
> * and they haven't said either that they'd no longer use forced labor to
> produce their wares
>
> I'd conclude from that, that Lenovo still is, will be, and is not
> planing to stop using forced labor to produce those laptops.
>
> I'm not sure there are alternatives: I have not researched them
> intensively yet - I am currently in need of a new laptop too, so I'll
> have to look around whether there are other brands that do not rely on
> companies that employ forced labor. Pointers welcome.
> *t

Hi Tomas,

If you need a laptop and do not want to buy a new one from Lenovo, I
suggest to you to buy a Librem 14 or 15 of Purism:
https://puri.sm/products/librem-14/

And as another option you could buy a used Lenovo ThinkPad laptop in
good conditions from someone in Internet,

Best regards
Jathan

--
Por favor evita enviarme adjuntos en formato de word o powerpoint, si
quieres saber porque lee esto: