Re: Infrastructure for Debian Academy

jathan <jathanblackred@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Jonathan and Debian System Administration Team,
>
> We have started to organise activities around the Debian Academy
> initiative and I would like to ask you if it is possible to have some
> scalable hardware instance of Debian to could start trying some software
> options and to do tests please to install an E-Learning platform with
> people who is showing interest to participate in this project. I hope
> you can help us,

If you're wanting to experiment with some platforms without first having
to go to the effort of setting up the servers, then I'm sure that the
folks at teckids.org would be happy for you to use their instances.

There are details of some of the things they offer here:

  https://schul-frei.org/en/2020-03-15_corona.html

I've Cc:ed Dominik, who can tell you much more about teckids.

It seems like a mistake not to take advantage of all their hard work, so
I'd suggest that you try things out using their instances of these
services before you decide that you need to install things yourself.

Having done that, if you then want to install your own instance(s) it
would still be wise to talk to teckids, becuase AFAIK they have this all
setup via ansible, so can tell about that, and any pitfalls you might
want to avoid.

Don't waste the initial burst of enthusiasm in this project on
installing software you don't need to install right now.  Use it for
generating content, or some other thing that's not already being done.

Cheers, Phil.