Re: RFC: Final update of DEP-14 on naming of git packaging branches

Hi,

The Wanderer wrote on 31/08/2020:
> On 2020-08-31 at 06:49, Paride Legovini wrote:
>
>> Simon McVittie wrote on 30/08/2020:

>>> If that's your workflow (the same as src:dbus, where versions
>>> 1.13.x are a development branch not recommended for general use),
>>> then I don't think debian/latest is a good name for that branch,
>>> and I'd recommend using debian/unstable for your unstable uploads.
>>>
>>> Rationale: it seems very confusing if a branch with "latest" in its
>>> name does not contain the newest available version :-)
>>
>> +1, moreover I find that "latest" does not convey the idea of
>> something that is in development: I tend to think about it in terms
>> of "latest release" or "latest version", something that is set
>> already.
>>
>> This is fine with uptream/latest, as we import the latest *released*
>> version of the upstream source, not the current work in progress
>> tip.
>
> I'd tend to agree with this.
>
>> Personally I'd prefer 'debian/devel': clearly the branch where
>> development happens.
>
> But what about cases where what would have been the 'master' branch
> tracks what's in e.g. sid and is being temporarily left to sit, except
> for bugfixes et cetera, while actual development happens somewhere else
> (e.g., in experimental)?

In this case the current DEP14 proposal from Raphael allows to have two
permanent branches:

 - debian/unstable
 - debian/experimental

and no debian/latest. This seems to fit your case.

I proposed a slightly different approach that would allow the
debian/unstable and debian/devel branches to coexist, see the other
email I just sent.

Cheers,

Paride