Re: RFC: Final update of DEP-14 on naming of git packaging branches

Hi,

For me, the one branch type of development is closer to my style. I'm
that type of guy who can be easily distracted by quite anything and
therefore can easily forget things. Luckily, in most cases I have
automatic alerts and habits preventing disasters to happen, but there
are cases when it's a bit harder to maintain.

In most of the cases (99.5%) I'm working on the next release of the
package. Either by fixing bugs, following recommendations (lintian,
PTS, etc) or incorporating newer versions from upstream.

ANd after I finish with it, I upload the next version to unstable. But
in some cases, when it better to validate my hypothesis first, I upload
it to experimental. It does not happen too often (1 or 2 times
annually) and therefore if I create a new branch for it, that would
make me harder to not make mistakes (forget about the branch entirely,
deploy it to unstable by accident or just forget to merge it at the
end.)

Of course, when I have to fix something in a more "prod" environment
while I'm targeting my uploads to experimental, I still can create
ephemeral branches, correctly targeting them to the right release and
do a small fix there (hopefully by cherry-picking the fix from the
latest, so that will not be a problem if I forgot to merge it back).

Another problem of mine with creating different branches (and therefore
I like to avoid them) is the Changelog file, which makes the cross-
merges a bit more complicated than what is healthy for me.

Of course my packages are small and the chance that a newer release
breaks something fundamental is subtle, so it is low risk to target
unstable mst of the time.