Re: RFC: Final update of DEP-14 on naming of git packaging branches

On 8/29/20 5:19 PM, Russ Allbery wrote:
> The problem in my case with not putting a branch name in Vcs-Git is that,
> for packages for which I'm also upstream, the default branch in the
> repository named in that header is the upstream development branch, which
> contains no Debian packaging files and thus would be a very confusing
> thing for debcheckout to clone.  So I have to name *some* branch, which
> right now is debian/master and would be debian/latest.

If the packaging is on Debian Salsa (which I would recommend), then I'd
set the default branch to the packaging branch. If upstream happens to
live there too, then people can switch to that explicitly.

Rationale: The packaging is the more relevant thing to Debian. While
there are Debian native packages and some people are both upstream and
packager, the common case is software packaged from another upstream.

Then you don't need a branch name in debian/control.

--
Richard