Re: RFC: Final update of DEP-14 on naming of git packaging branches

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 01:01:09AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> following the recent discussions of June and of the last days, I'm
> proposing the changes below to DEP-14. Basically it replaces debian/master
> with debian/latest for all the reasons already discussed earlier. And
> it says that debian/unstable is preferred over debian/sid.
>
> And it also marks the proposal as ACCEPTED given that it has gained
> traction over the years and that we didn't feel the need to make
> significant change to it.
>
> I'm proposing debian/latest now because DEP-14 is already recommending
> upstream/latest and that makes the result a bit more consistent. But if
> enough person disagree with this choice, we can look into setting a poll
> to choose among all the names proposed so far.

We switched libvirt from debian/sid to debian/master a few days ago,
and honestly I was feeling a bit uncomfortable about the new name but
adopted it anyway on the basis that it is formalized in DEP-14, which
we have been following for a long time.

Using debian/latest removes this problem, and as you point out is
also entirely consistent with the existing upstream/latest. So, for
whatever it might be worth, you have my +1 for this change.

--
Andrea Bolognani <eof@kiyuko.org>