Re: epoch bump for babl and gegl libraries

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 05:05:36PM +0300, Andrei POPESCU wrote:
> On Lu, 17 aug 20, 10:21:37, Simon McVittie wrote:
> >
> > Jeremy Bicha contacted deb-multimedia.org and arranged for babl and gegl
> > to be dropped from the third-party repository, which fixes this problem
> > for new installations. However, existing installations will still have
> > their old versions of babl and gegl installed, and will no longer receive
> > security, bug-fix or feature updates from Debian (because as far as
> > apt/dpkg know, our versions of babl and gegl are older than the installed
> > copy).
>
> How about a note in the Release Notes?

Documenting problems is good for blaming the users who are victims of
problems, it does not fix problems.

In practice (not limited to Debian) documenting problems and regressions
is far too often abused as an excuse for introducing regressions or not
fixing problems

Fixing problems should always be preferred to documenting problems.

> Kind regards,
> Andrei

cu
Adrian