Re: we do recommend workflows (Re: Why Vcs-* fields are not at least recommended ?)

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 12:19:42PM +0200, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:
> > > And we cannot recommend using a VCS because we don't usually recommend workflows.
> > [...]
> > > I don't think anything is "supposed" here. We don't recommend workflows
> >
> > yes, we do. workflows and tools. i'm not sure why you think we don't?
>

> And, specifically: https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2020/04/msg00009.html

I see only "If your upstream uses Git, it is recommended that you use Git
as the version control system for your packaging" (with an explicit "no
recommendation otherwise"), a recommendation to use Salsa and suggestions
for cases when you already use Git. So it's mostly a recommendation where
to put your Git repo and how to configure it if you already decided to use
Git. It even implies that no specific branch layout is recommended and
omits many other questions.

It's also quite interesting that it suggests that using Git if the
upstream uses it is useful without explaining why or how, and considering
many people just import upstream tarballs.

--
WBR, wRAR