Re: epoch bump for babl and gegl libraries

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 10:21:37AM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> Historically, versions of these packages were shipped by the third-party
> deb-multimedia.org apt repository. That would have been fine, except that
> the maintainer(s) of deb-multimedia.org added an epoch to their versions.
> It is not clear to me why this was done,

AFAIK this is to ensure that people are not downgraded to the less
featureful versions of the packages in Debian.

Basically your problem in the other direction.

> Note that I am specifically only doing this because deb-multimedia.org is
> cooperating with us on this issue. Bumping the epoch to 1: in response
> to a non-cooperative third-party repo would not be helpful, because
> they would respond by bumping the epoch to 2: on their side and we'd
> be back where we started; please do not interpret this as precedent for
> having Debian packages reflect epochs added in third-party repositories
> in general.

Sounds good to me in that case, especially considering that this is a
quite popular 3rd party repository.

>     smcv

cu
Adrian