Re: Proposal: Allowing access to dmesg for users in group adm

On Aug 17, Matthew Ruffell <matthew.ruffell@canonical.com> wrote:

> I propose that we restrict access to dmesg to users in group 'adm' like so:
>
> 1) CONFIG_SECURITY_DMESG_RESTRICT=y in the kernel.
Which is already the default for Debian.

> 2) Following changes to /bin/dmesg permissions in package 'util-linux'
>     - Ownership changes to root:adm
>     - Permissions changed to 0750 (-rwxr-x---)
>     - Add cap_syslog capability to binary.
Looks good to me.

> 3) Add a commented out '# kernel.dmesg_restrict = 0' to
>    /etc/sysctl.d/10-kernel-hardening.conf
Debian does not have this file, so I am not sure if it should be
introduced just for this.
And what would be the point of setting kernel.dmesg_restrict=0 al long
as dmesg is still not world-executable?

--
ciao,
Marco