RFC: switching apt tls to openssl (>= 3) | GPL-3+ /usr/lib/apt/methods/http concerns

Hi folks,

it is our plan to switch apt from GnuTLS to OpenSSL once OpenSSL
3.0 is out, making /usr/lib/apt/methods/http effectively a
GPL-3+ licensed binary. Or earlier, in case ftp masters decide
that the system library exception applies to OpenSSL.

I heard some concerns about such a change making Debian unsuitable
for some embedded users, and I'd like to weight the concerns. Unless
of course those people believe in a system library exception applying
to OpenSSL, in which case it can still be GPL-2 in their minds :D

As you might know, GnuTLS causes a few issues from time to time,
it's just not as "battle-tested" as OpenSSL (or NSS for that
matter).

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en