Re: Build-Depends-If-Available

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 at 19:01, Adrian Bunk <bunk@debian.org> wrote:
> The number of tools parsing build dependencies or doing dependency
> resolution is larger than you might expect.

Yeah, I can only imagine. And they're not all in one great big git
repo either! That's one reason I thought pushing it into the
architecture field might make sense: code dealing with architectures
has at least some abstraction already, because architectures are a
moving target, and are also a bit complicated. In this case, you could
put a clause into "dpkg-architecture --equal" to make an architecture
of "has-foo" just check (using the right API) if "apt policy foo" has
a candidate, and catch a significant fraction of the cases.

Re the "chicken no longer exists, use chicken-bin" bit-rot issue,
lintian could raise a flag for a [has-foo] arch when foo doesn't exist
in the target distribution on any architecture. We already have that
issue for binary packages with "Recommends:" and "Suggests:".