Re: Automating signing of DKMS modules with machine owner key

Hey,

Jeremy Stanley:
> Okay, so for systems to which a malicious party may gain physical
> access (or remote console access) there's sort of a third risk this
> addresses. A special case of the second risk really. *If* you're
> also encrypting the filesystem on which that signing key resides
> (via LUKS or similar) then this might keep you safe from someone
> with access to replace the kernel or initrd on the unencrypted boot
> partition... but only if they can't unlock the decryption key for
> the FS which holds the signing key of course.

In my eyes this is the most common real-world szenario that you want to
protect against. It's a real threat both for laptops that are left alone
for longer periods as well as servers hosted in a data center that you
don't control.

At the same time third-party kernel modules unfortunately still are a
thing (virtualbox being the most infamous one in my experience as well),
so providing a simple solution to auto-sign the built modules would
certainly be of help.

Cheers
 jonas