Re: DNF for Debian

hi Mihai,

On Fri, May 29, 2020 at 12:17:13PM +0200, Mihai Moldovan wrote:
> Sorry for the late response. I've been busy, and, honestly, also always forgot
> to actually answer.

thanks for your reply & don't worry, this happens often & to many people, me
included.

> unman seems to be interested, if that's good enough, so there's that.

that is good enough if not much better than that.

> > all very very nice! It would be a pity to have this rot, but then, without
> > maintenance it will anyway eventually...
>
> Personally, I will have to "maintain" the package sets anyway, because I'm
> building a lot of Fedora/CentOS packages in an automatic fashion on Debian.
>
> This "maintenance" just means that I'll probably update stuff every half a year
> or year, though, essentially "whenever it breaks" (which does tend to happen).
[...]
> As given in the initial description, I've published source and binary packages
> for Debian Unstable/Sid at https://packages.x2go.org/debian-test/pool/main/
>
> Note that the binaries are a bit old by now and would probably like a rebuild,
> but the source is still the one I'm also using on my package builder.
>
> Also, the packages became a bit stale version wise (after all, they are 9 month
> old by now) and some included patches have already been applied upstream. I
> haven't tried updating (and testing any updates) yet, though, and probably won't
> come to that shortly either.

the important part is whether we'll get these packages ready and up to date
until end of 2020 *and* whether we can commit to maintain important fixes after that.

end of 2020 because of "key release dates" on https://release.debian.org/

it's ok(ish) if the stuff is outdated today, but in 6 month it really should be current.
(and then after the release we can slack a bit again, though usually it's
less effort to always package and upload the latest version.)

--
cheers,
	Holger