Re: Overinterpretation of DFSG? QR code for receiving donation is non-free???

This case, in my interpretation, the text from the QR code is not upstream author's preferred form of modification.

The QR code probably is author's preferred form of modification by changing the payment QR code as a whole.

Ethics wise, we could ask author if they can accept other payment method than QR code form, while I can understand the extreme popularity in Mainland China.

Yao Wei