Re: What to do when DD considers policy to be optional? [kubernetes]

On Friday, 27 March 2020 5:42:47 AM AEDT Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> B) there are reasons why people recommend not to use the packaged
> versions of docker.io. No opinion on the others, never touched them.

The are some valid reasons, for example version in "stable" is too old and
the package (and more importantly, its dependency tree) was stabilized only
recently. We did a big job fixing past design failures and mistakes by re-
factoring Docker packaging significantly. Now the package is in much better
shape than it was.

I doubt that your "life outside Debian" argument is valid when we are
discussing Debian packaging. The approach to build Golang applications
against packaged reusable libraries is valid.

> Applying the Debian "library" policy on go code is imho impossible -
> there are no sonames, often no proper releases. The way how Debian
> packages source code does not fit for go.

The way how Golang community handled dependencies was insane for years, only
being somewhat stabilized recently. There are no reasons to think that Goland
is too special when it comes to life cycle and versioning of libraries.
More and more upstreams do the right thing and Debian approach mostly works
when applied properly.

--
Best wishes,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those
that speak it.
        -- George Orwell