installing minimal systems with weeed out /u/s/d (was: trimming changelogs)

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 10:16:00 +0100, David Kalnischkies
<david@kalnischkies.de> wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 20, 2020 at 12:50:29AM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
>> In the rush for cutting away small bits of minbase, it looks like we forgot
>> a big pile of junk: /usr/share/doc/
>
>Honestly, on space constraint systems, isn't the whole /usr/share/doc
>directory "junk". Probably not the solution for everyone or as
>a default, but I want to highlight that dpkg supports excluding files
>and entire paths from being unpacked:
>
>$ cat /etc/dpkg/dpkg.cfg.d/01_exclude_paths
>| path-exclude /usr/share/doc/*
>| path-include /usr/share/doc/*/copyright
>|
>| path-exclude /usr/share/locale/*
>| path-include /usr/share/locale/en*
>| path-exclude /usr/share/man/*
>| …

Is there any canonical way to have a new system/chroot installed that
way? Debootstrap seems to make things particularly hard without using
internal interfaces (#811269, #864981, #871255, the oldest of those
having had its fourth birthday recently, with only a single
less-than-helpful maintainer interaction since then).

How would I do that from the very beginning?

>Sure, all these files are handy to have on a "normal" system, but that
>is the point: If I want to look at them, I want to do that 99,9% of the
>time on a normal system, not on a single-purpose minbase(based) one –
>where I don't even have a sane editor available (SCNR).

Amen.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |