Re: RFC: Replacing vim-tiny with nano in essential packages

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 12:40 PM Theodore Y. Ts'o <tytso@mit.edu> wrote:
> I've always considered /bin/ed the most basic system administration
> tool, since it doesn't require a working terminal or termcap entry.
> It works even if you are using an ASR-33 teletype.  :-)
>
> And at least for me, I find /bin/ed much more user friendly than vi,
> since it doesn't have as modal of a UI as vi.  (Vi has 3 modes, ed has
> only 2.)
>
> /bin/ed is also *much* smaller than even busybox.

Yep, ed uploader here. The installed size of the latest ed package is
116 kB. Its upstream is alive, there were at least 1 release per year,
the latest release happed on Feb 20, 2020 and uploaded to the Debian
archive on Feb 24. I'd say that ed is rock-solid, it just works and
there were no any build problems in at least 2 years.

Also, please, take a look at #776413. There are some requests to raise
ed priority.

[#776413] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=776413

Ср 18 мар 2020 @ 18:52 Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl>:

> Alas, our ed is basically:
> #!/bin/sh
> while read x;do echo '?';done

That's not true. The ed package in the Debian archive is full GNU ed.

Cheers!
Lev