Re: Is there still a point in installing libgcrypt to /lib instead of /usr/lib

On Sat, 2020-02-15 at 18:31 +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> afaict we are moving to a usrmerge setup, i.e. with /lib just a
> symlink to /usr/lib. So shouldn't packages start installing stuff to
> /usr/lib instead of /lib? I would like to do that for libgcrypt, since
> I would be able to shorten debian/rules by stopping to split stuff
> between /lib (.so) and /usr/lib (.a).

Since stretch, it's a requirement that any separate /usr is mounted by
an initramfs before the normal init system is started:
https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/amd64/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#late-mounting-usr

So although usrmerge is optional, I believe there is no need to install
libraries under /lib except for the dynamic linkers (which the kernel
loads using absolute paths).

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings