Re: Heads up: persistent journal has been enabled in systemd

On Thu, 2020-02-06 at 14:14 -0500, Michael Stone wrote:

> > Of course it matters. It is about the _default_ setting, or have I
> > understood this thread wrongly?

Yes, maybe I have misunderstood. This is about systems with systemd
installed, but that is the Debian default right? No way to install
Debian without getting it as default. When is Debian ever to offer a
non-systemd alternative for installation?

Quoting the original posting from Michael Biebl:
Depending on how it goes, I might ask the ftp-masters to lower the
priority of rsyslog from important to optional, so it would no longer
be installed by default on new bullseye installations.
This would avoid, that we store log messages twice on disk.
Users that prefer text logs can of course still install rsyslog by
default (or their syslogger of choice). Alternative init systems might
consider adding a Recommends on a syslog implementation of their choice
or creating a task, which would pull in a syslogger.

> You seem to have misunderstood this thread wrongly in many ways.
> It's  not clear what you hope to accomplish by continuing. If you
> just want everyone to know that you dislike systemd, congratulations:
> you've  accomplished that. Now please move on.

So the above quote from Michael is for Debian and as a default you will
get the systemd journald binary logs. This is very much in the same
vein as the discussion with Thomas Goirand about systemd-
{users,tmpfiles}. If systemd is installed the default _has_ to be a
systemd-monolithic add-on, no discussion possible, I realize that now.
The GR had no effect on that.

Fine, but then give us a chance to create a systemd-free Debian
alternative, without blocking every attempt to do that :(

Do you want me to give examples of e.g. bugs/proposed solutions you
have blocked recently?