Re: RFC: courier-webadmin

On 15999 March 1977, Markus Wanner wrote:

I'm currently considering to drop the binary package courier-webadmin from the packaged courier suite due to security concerns. This is a CGI binary allowing web based configuration of the Courier MTA. To modify the configuration and restart the server(s), it needs to be setuid root.

[description of that stuff]

This is inspired by discussions with a disappointed user providing valuable feedback (in combination with somewhat less valuable feedback and in English sentences I have a hard time to understand) [2], [3].

So the code itself is not actually the security risk (minus any possible bugs, obviously), but the way it has to run and will be setup allows one to open holes that can lead to abuse of the courier service on the machine?

That does not sound like a good reason to drop it, but more like one to ensure that the config you ship is as secure as possible, possibly with information for the admin on what they need to keep in mind when adjusting it. It might make security drop a bit when installed, but (depending on how much this allows), there might be users actually depending on it for their instances.

If I'm going to drop this binary package, is a warning in NEWS enough (in courier-base, a dependency), or shall I better provide an empty shim package that actually removes the setuid binary (when upgraded)?

If you decide to remove it, ensuring you don't leave unmaintained files around is a good thing.

--
bye, Joerg