Re: Disabling automatic upgrades on Sid by default?

Em dom., 27 de dez. de 2020 às 03:02, M. Zhou <lumin@debian.org> escreveu:
Hi folks,

I don't quite understand the meaning of automatic upgrades on a rolling
system such as Debian/Sid. According to my own experience, such
automatic upgrades could be dangerous.

Recently package ppp is pending for upgrade but it does not co-exist
with my currently installed network-manager. Today when I was shutting
down my machine, Gnome automatically checked the "install updates ..."
box for me before I realized its existence. As a result, the system
reboots and installed ppp by force, removing network-manager and break
my system for daily use as I need network-manager for wifi-access.

I've been a daily Sid user for at least 4 years. Automatic upgrades are
to blame for nearly all my system troubles. And I feel very
disappointed every time linux behaves like M$ windows.

So, do we have a consensus on whether automatic upgrades should be
enabled by default?

Hi,

Although you can disable this, I usually update and do most things via the command
terminal.
Using testing I run apt daily. I like to know what is being updated in the system.

--
Cheers,
Leandro Cunha