Re: Package dependency versions and consistency

Hi,

On 19-12-2020 01:25, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Given all of the above improvements, it'd be much more feasible for
> tooling to help systematically unbundle and package dependencies, and to
> help manage and transition those dependencies in the archive.

Especially in the JavaScript arena, I think there is to gain without
much overhead already in the current way of working. What if packages
where multiple versions are in use would ship multiple versions *in the
same binary package*? In my experience, the maintainer needs to link to
the right directory anyways, if those are semver versioned directories,
it would be clear (with a tiny bit of tooling maybe) which package needs
which version. And if the maintainer of the shipping package wants to
drop some, they could communicate about that. Maybe they could even ship
 a latest or recommended version for those packages where it's not
absolutely important which version they get.

No idea if this idea works for other areas.

Paul