Re: Proposed changes to sbuild and debootstrap

Sun, 29 Nov 2020 20:47:42 +0000 Simon McVittie <smcv@debian.org>:
> On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 at 20:33:22 +0100, RhineDevil wrote:
> > I ask the teams responsible for sbuild and debootstrap development
> > permission to integrate these changes
>
> If you have made changes to sbuild and debootstrap and you want those
> changes to be merged, the way to make that happen is to open bug reports
> or merge requests with the specific patches/commits that you want applied,
> so that their maintainers can review those changes and either merge them
> as-is, merge them with changes, or ask you for improvements.
>
> > A viable solution for achieving this may be using an optional
> > -f/--flavour parameter in sbuild/debootstrap components who do not
> > interact with repos
>
> If I saw "flavour" in debootstrap help, I'd expect it to be something
> similar to --variant or maybe --merged-usr - choosing between different
> forms for a chroot in a way that is "less important" than the suite.
>
> If you mean the difference between Debian, Devuan, Ubuntu, Tanglu and
> similar OS distributions, dpkg refers to them as *vendors* (as in the
> dpkg-vendor tool) and I think that might be the best term to use to refer
> to them. That's the term I use in <https://salsa.debian.org/smcv/vectis>,
> for example.
>
> That rename would also avoid having to choose whether to use the en_GB
> or en_US spelling of flavour/flavor :-)
>
> The other obvious name would be "distribution", but that's awkward for
> historical reasons, because Debian sometimes uses "distribution" to mean
> what we now call a suite or codename, like stable or buster (for example
> the dists directory in apt archives refers to this meaning).
>
>     smcv

Sounds a nice idea in theory but the -v command as shown in https://manpages.debian.org/buster/sbuild/sbuild.1.en.html is already occupied by "version"...
Flavor means exactly what you guessed though. If you have other ideas about terms I could use please write them