lintian groff-message warning "can't set the locale"

Hello there!

My Salsa CI pipeline is blowing up in the lintian step, with
lots of warnings of the form:

"W: notcurses-bin: groff-message usr/share/man/man1/notcurses-demo.1.gz can't set the locale; make sure $LC_* and $LANG are correct"

This is printed for each man page I package. An example run is
here:

https://salsa.debian.org/debian/notcurses/-/jobs/1107065

The only reference I could find was
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=606933, which
didn't seem relevant.

Is this due to having supra-ascii UTF8 characters in my man
pages? Is there anything I can do to work around this? I tried
exporting LANG to a UTF-8 locale in my salsa variables section,
but that didn't help.

I'm using pandoc to generate my man pages, and it happily
accepts UTF-8, but I can see a case for restricting them to
ASCII.

Thanks!

--
nick black -=- https://www.nick-black.com