Re: How does one package a multirepo project?

Quoting Julien Puydt (2020-10-19 11:51:05)
> Le lundi 19 octobre 2020 à 10:06 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard a écrit :
> > Quoting Julien Puydt (2020-10-19 09:15:28)
> > > - uscan doesn't work correctly anymore, as the multiplication of
> > > tags makes them disappear in the list quite fast ;
> >
> > Please see uscan v4 and its version types "group" and "checksum".
>
> I find it gives unwieldly versions when there is a lot of packages

Please see uscan v4 version type "checksum"

> > > - and what does one want to watch exactly anyway?
> >
> > Ideally we want to watch upstream releases of all upstream parts.
> >
> > If "upstream releases" are git commits, then watch that.
>
> Tagged commits, yes. Sounds good, but isn't ; see below.
>
> > If "upstream releases" are something more obscure like timestamps of
> > files (yes, some do that!) then somehow watch that - or try convince
> > upstream to also/instead use an easier watchable mechanism.
>
> The situation is worse than that : a same commit can be a release for
> a directory, and give something bad for another.
>
> Imagine a project named "monorepo", with only two packages/directories
> foo/ and bar/ and two tagged commits :
> - 0xdeadbeef is tagged foo/3.14, and bar is broken for it ;
> - 0x1337beef is tagged bar/2.72 and foo is broken for it.
>
> How can I get uscan version 4 to do anything sane about it?

What you describe here is what I above call "something more obscure".

In such situations I see these options:

 a) try convince upstream to also/instead release more straightforward.

 b) maintain _two_ source packages: project-foo and project-bar, both
 watching same upstream source but for each releasing at a different
 pace.

There are more options - but it seems you are looking for
easier-to-maintain ones.

 - Jonas