Re: Co-maintaining some packages

On Fri, Oct 09, 2020 at 09:00:44PM -0500, Brett Gilio wrote:
> I am a long term user of Debian GNU/Linux (and a regular contributor to
> GNU Guix). I have been using Debian or some other variant of GNU/Linux
> for 10+ years, in both professional and personal capacities. I notice
> that some packages that I depend on are not getting much attention, and
> I would like to offer help. I currently maintain my own repository using
> reprepro, but would like to return the packages I maintain on my own to
> the community as a whole.

Thank you for your interest and offer of help!

Generally speaking, the best way to set up collaborative maintenance for
such packages is to put them up on Salsa [0], for that you'll need to
convert them to Git packaging [1] if they aren't already on it (e.g.
blank VCS field for MLton tells me that it's not).

[0] https://wiki.debian.org/Salsa
[1] https://wiki.debian.org/PackagingWithGit

> For example, MLton [0] could use updating, and working through the
> different branches. Likewise for PolyML, and SMLnj. I think helping with
> these three collections of packages would be a good first step into
> possibly helping Debian in the future.

Sounds like your interests are relevant for the Debian Science team [2]
(which is marked dead) and Debian Science Maintainers team [3], getting
in touch with them would be a good place to start.

[2] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience

--
Dmitry Borodaenko