Re: Allowed to build-depend a pkg in main on a pkg in non-free?

Roland Fehrenbacher <rf@q-leap.de> writes:

>     S> No, see Policy §2.2.1:

>     S> In addition, the packages in *main*
>     S>
>     S> * must not require or recommend a package outside of *main* for
>     S>   compilation or execution (thus, the package must not declare a "Pre-
>     S>   Depends", "Depends", "Recommends", "Build-Depends", "Build-Depends-
>     S>   Indep", or "Build-Depends-Arch" relationship on a non-*main* package
>     S>   unless that package is only listed as a non-default alternative for
>     S>   a package in *main*),

> Hmm, what I intend to do conforms to the first sentence of the paragraph
> (the packages to go into main do not require or recommend a package
> outside of *main* for compilation or execution),

If you need a non-free package to build the binary packages, that's what
"require a package for compilation" means.  That's referring to the build
of the binary packages.

Packages can only go into main if they can be built using only other
packages from main.