Re: RFC: Final update of DEP-14 on naming of git packaging branches

Hi,

Whilst I really welcome progress on this DEP, as I believe it's really
important to codify best practice, and that's what you're trying to do
:-),

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 01:01:09AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> proposing the changes below to DEP-14. Basically it replaces debian/master
> with debian/latest for all the reasons already discussed earlier. And
> it says that debian/unstable is preferred over debian/sid.
>
> And it also marks the proposal as ACCEPTED given that it has gained
> traction over the years and that we didn't feel the need to make
> significant change to it.

These two paragraphs seem to contradict each other.

I would not object to the DEP moving to ACCEPTED if it was the case that
it was effectively in-use, and no changes were necessary; but you are
*are* changing the DEP, specifically, replacing debian/master with
debian/latest.

Clearly there's some debate as to whether debian/latest is appropriate.
I don't think it's reasonable to consider that matter settled.

So I would argue you should honour the DEP procedure and at most move it
to CANDIDATE, but probably better stick with DRAFT — perhaps commit the
debian/latest change and leave it in DRAFT status whilst we debate that
point (since I believe there is consensus to move away from master, at
least, so land that change now)

Best wishes,

--
👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland