Re: Reaching out

On 15/09/2020 12:27, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2020, Paul Sutton wrote:
>> Just wondered, if it is worth me (or someone) trying to reach out to the
>> team behind the Debian Administrators handbook
>
> That would be me. :)
>
>> I would assume we will be making use of the anyway or making references
>> to this within lessons, so a quick how_to contribute, what skills are
>> needed, what it it written in, for example may be useful,
>
> https://debian-handbook.info/contribute/
>
>> I am not sure if there is a package that just lets you write and it
>> handles the xml tags in the background or you need to write this as you
>> would perhaps pure html / latex / markdown and add tags manually or
>> convert using something like pandoc.
>
> I don't use any special editor. I use vim with a few shortcuts and
> and a generic xml plugin.
>
> I don't know of any opensource graphical editor for Docbook XML.
>
>> As documentation writing is less about coding and more about writing it
>> does then open up projects to a wider group of people who may posses
>> those skills.  Getting documentation for any project within Debian up to
>> scratch is also important, and especially if we as educators want to
>> make reference to pre-existing information.
>
> Your mail is a bit cryptic. What are you trying to do? Is this related to
> the recent Debian akademy idea?
>
> Cheers,

Hi, Raphael

Thanks for getting back, yes my idea was related to the Debian Academy
team, which I am part of so just asking, so the Handbook team are
invited to join if they have not already.

Are you part of the Academy Team?.  I was thinking how it can be it
easier for contributors to the Handbook, so if people want to contribute
there are some lessons or similar to help them.

The e-mail was meant for the Debian Academy list, sorry so will re post
there,

Regards

Paul

--