Re: Automating signing of DKMS modules with machine owner key

Hi,

Am Thu, 6 Aug 2020 17:24:08 +0000
schrieb Jeremy Stanley <fungi@yuggoth.org>:

> The idea is that UEFI/BIOS checks the signature for GRUB before
> executing it, and does so instructing GRUB to verify the signature
> for its config. GRUB then checks the signatures on the kernel and
> initrd before handing off control. To alter GRUB or its
> configuration or the kernel or initrd ultimately (in theory, barring
> bugs like the "Boot Hole" vulnerability everyone was talking about
> over the weekend) you'll have to guess the BIOS password or have
> access to reflash it with your own. Ideally this tampering also
> invalidates cryptographic attestation for the entire chain, which
> the user should then be able to detect.

Are you talking about the Debian default setup or some custom setup? I
don't really see how the Debian setup can do this, because the grub
configuration and the initrd are generated on the end user machine.
By default Debian doesn't enroll a MOK, so I don't see how the end user
machine would sign the grub configuration and the initrd, as there is
simply no key available that would be accepted by the UEFI.

Regards
Sven