Re: Packaging minetest mods

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 3:17 PM Julien Puydt wrote:

> I have packaged a few mods for the minetest game these last years.
> Recent minetest versions have a feature where you can download mods
> directly online.

Where/how are the downloadable mods maintained?

> (1) should I go on updating the existing packages? or ask for their
> removal? orphan them? whatever?

I would prefer they stay in Debian, because of the DFSG, apt
signatures, package management, source packages etc. Caveat: I'm only
an occasional user of minetest.

> (2) should I go on packaging new things for minetest?

As above, if you feel like it.

> Do we have a policy for such situations?

Not that I know of. In theory we could remove every package from
Debian that is available in Flatpak, Snap, CPAN and other per-language
package managers, guix/nix/etc, per-app downloaders and so on, but
there are advantages to Debian's model of package management and
development that I think we should preserve.

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise