Re: Preferred form of modification for binary data used in unit testing?

Hello,

On Thu 16 Jul 2020 at 07:42PM +02, Bastian Blank wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 08:42:24AM -0700, Sean Whitton wrote:
>> I would remove the test data because it does not seem DFSG-conformant.
>
> Care to explain?  You can't claim DFSG violation without showing which
> part.

That was a bit unclear -- I meant that it seems like a DFSG violation to
include the binary data but not the source code for the program that
generates that data, not that the binary data is inherently unfree.

You would need the buggy version of the software if you wanted to
make modified versions of the binary data to test for closely related
bugs, for example.

> Also please explain how you would make sure the code is tested.

I don't have a good answer for you, but whether or not something is
DFSG-free is not dependent on what purposes it serves.

--
Sean Whitton