Re: help needed to resolve nodejs transition #963039

On Fri, Jul 03, 2020 at 07:50:55PM +0200, Jérémy Lal wrote:
> One can install nodejs 10 along with libnode64, and build node-iconv
> using libnode-dev 12 which links to libnode72.
>
> However, running node-iconv tests in the autopkgtests environment requires
> the nodejs version that is linked against the same libnode abi (i hope that
> part is obvious).
>
> But it's not the case: the tests are run with nodejs 10 from testing,
> against a package
> built with libnode72, so the module loading fails.
>
> Those failures seem to be preventing transition to testing (which is
> understandable).
> Two questions:
> - how to fix the issue now
> - how to fix the issue for good

Is my understanding correct that a module built with a libnode
different from the one used by the nodejs package installed is
nonfunctional?

In other words, having more than one libnode library package installed
is always wrong?

In this case the correct solution is:
Package: libnode72
Breaks: libnode64

A generic version for future updates is:
Package: libnode72
Provides: libnode
Breaks: libnode

libnode64 did not provide libnode, so the generic version needs a
special case for it:
Package: libnode72
Provides: libnode
Breaks: libnode64, libnode

Alternatively, you could additionally avoid the troubles of having to go
through NEW for major new upstream versions by moving libnode into nodejs:
Package: nodejs
Provides: libnode72
Breaks: libnode64

> Thanks in advance for any help.