Re: DEP-14: renaming master to main?

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 06:45:50PM +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
> > On Mon, 2020-06-22 at 17:50 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> > > there has been a lot of talk recently about how master is a loaded term
> > > that should be avoided.
> > > If I read the news correctly, github and others are going to change the
> > > default master branch to main.
> > > I don't really have any strong opinion on that matter myself.
>
> Is there consensus that, in projects that want to rename away from
> 'master', 'main' is the best replacement name? (I've also seen 'default'
> or 'devel' suggested, for example.)

How well have replacement terms been vetted to ensure they do not have
the same problem in other parts of the world than the stated reason
for the renaming?

There are people on the internet claiming "main/other" would be
terminology for discrimination against the Ainu people.

I cannot judge whether this specific claim is true or not,
only wondering whether anyone has done a global vetting
on replacement names.

>     smcv

cu
Adrian