Re: DEP-14: renaming master to main?

On Tue, Jun 23, 2020 at 11:40:47AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> Not really.  The master/slave metaphor prompted me to think about this
> sort of thing more and give it a higher priority, that's all.  I still
> think we'd be better off using a different name.

So use a different metaphor.  For git, we can use the medieval system of
master/terminator (terminator = "apprentice" but the latter sounds human
only).  A terminator does what he's ordered to, but may graduate to
journeyman then master, especially when moving to another workshop (repo).

Upsides:
* we keep the name, ingrained in millions of scripts/etc
* clones get a more glorious name (but there's nothing that enforces it)

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ in the beginning was the boot and root floppies and they were good.