Re: DEP-14: renaming master to main?

On Mon, 2020-06-22 at 17:50 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> there has been a lot of talk recently about how master is a loaded term
> that should be avoided.
> If I read the news correctly, github and others are going to change the
> default master branch to main.
> I don't really have any strong opinion on that matter myself.
>
> That said, what I care about is consistency and predictability across
> the archive.
> If we deem that "main" is a better term, should we change the defaults
> in salsa/gitlab and maybe update DEP-14?

We certainly could, just for the sake of picking a neutral option. I would
prefer debian/unstable as a default suggestion, since it reflects the repository
logic of Debian itself.

AFAIK there is not yet an option for configuring the default branch in GitLab.
When you create a repo locally, GitLab will deem the first branch pushed to be
default.

Regards
Markus

--