Re: Mass bug filing: dependencies on GTK 2

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 11:40:01AM +0200, Simon McVittie wrote:
GTK 2 is used by some important productivity applications like GIMP,
and has also historically been a popular UI toolkit for proprietary
software that we can't change, so perhaps removing GTK 2 from Debian
will never be feasible. However, it has definitely reached the point
where a dependency on it is a bug - not a release-critical bug, and not
a bug that can necessarily be fixed quickly, but a piece of technical
debt that maintainers should be aware of.

Thanks for expressing this so well! For folks interested in working with
historical software, historical toolkits are vital. It was for this
reason I am sad at the glee with which people removed Qt4 from the
archive, and similar such things. But at the same time you are
right that packaged F/OSS software really should migrate
toolkits eventually. Or at least the vast majority of it should.

--
👱🏻	Jonathan Dowland
✎	    jon@dow.land