Re: RFC: Standardizing source package artifacts build paths

On 2020-03-09 Sam Hartman <hartmans@debian.org> wrote:
> I'm concerned about a leading . at least for:

> * the debian/tmp replacement
> * the replacement for the package install directories under debian.

> I think that maintaining those directories such that ls shows them will
> be more friendly for new maintainers.
> So I'd prefer something like debian/build rather than debian/.build for
> at least those directories.

I would like to add a strong AOL. Please do not use a hidden toplevel
directory. debian/.build does not avoid clutter - it just makes it harder
to recognize a cluttered directory. Not "stomping over any existing
directories" is also a weak argument for ".build" vs any other name,
neither has a guarantee that there are no conflicts currently.

cu Andreas